Monday, July 10, 2006



The Immaculate Conception

about 1618

VELÁZQUEZ, Diego
1599 - 1660


Doesn't God despise sin and death with all of His being, as much as He despises Satan? So much so, that God became incarnate, walked on this earth among sinners, resisted the harshest temptations from Satan face-to-face, and finally submitted to the most cruel humiliation and death, all to defeat sin and death? Given that, why would Christ desire even a hint of that which He came to destroy to be present in His own mother (from whom He took on the flesh and blood through which we gain salvation) and the mother of all Christians? Our earthly mother, Eve, submitted to Satan and caused sin and death to enter Creation; if Mary also submitted -- even in the least -- to Satan, how can we call her our spiritual mother?

-quote from my friend Jason Ramage during a little discussion on the Immaculate Conception on a protestants blog.

This really hit me in a new way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Cool :) I pretty much got the gist of that from a speaker at the Ignite Your Torch youth conference here in Louisville about a month ago... I can't remember who the speaker was, but I was pretty impressed with how many different people they brought in.

Speaking of good speakers, did you know our next pope, Cardinal Francis Arinze, will be in Louisville soon? There's some kind of conference thing going on here. I think it only costs like $50 or so... I might try and go.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Is it the church teaches conference?

He was supposed to come last year but that didn't happen. i dont think. probbly because of the new pope and all.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

I don't remember hearing anything about it last year, but that's probably the same conference. I'm curious why they choose Louisville? Not that you'd know, but that thought was in my head.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Well, the conference was last weekend. I was out of town.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home