Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Circular Reasoning

There is a larger sense in which circularity, as Pontificator suggests, cannot be avoided in arguing for the ultimate criterion of a system. This is what Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas meant by saying that first principles are indemonstrable. Why should one be logical? Because it would be illogical not to be! Why should one believe God's Word? Because it is the Word of God, of course! Every system is based on presuppositions that control its epistemology, argument, and use of evidence; therefore ultimate circularity is philosophically inescapable. But this does not mean that circularity is permissible in other (penultimate) sorts of arguments. "The Bible is inspired because the Bible says its inspired" is a circular argument whose circularity is not justified. It lacks cogency. A document's self-attestation is insufficient warrant for accepting its claims. The argument can gain cogency only by enlarging its circle to include also the attestation of the Church and data of sacred and secular history. By contrast, "The Bible means what the Church says it means" is not circular in this way, since the Church's interpretation is not closed off from history, but empirically testable for fidelity and coherence both against Scripture and the other traditions of the Church.

See Link above for full article, it's not too long either.

4 Comments:

Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Holy monkey, Sean, you hit the goldmine! This link is to a great blog, and has alot of great links of its own. Thanks.

Stuff I read (off the top of my head, anyways) that you may find of interest:

catholic.com (obvious link, but good, nontheless)
catholic.org (obvious, but very good)
newadvent.org-- this is an old Catholic encyclopedia that was put online. It has incredible amounts of information. Ever wonder about the history of a specific denomination? About various ecumenical councils? Saints? Hersies such as Gnosticism, Arianism, Sabellianism, Montanism, etc.? This stuff occupies many of my post-work hours.

BTW, I hadn't realized it until after I got home from work, but we both cited from the same book over at Nikki's blog, lol. I really like the folks over there, and I hope they don't think too harshly of me, but I felt I should have said something, at least. I referred to your blog in the last post, so hopefully you'll start getting people here for debates. It wasn't my intention to overwhelm Nikki's blog, after all, so I do hope that the conversation there could continue here. Those are some good folks,and they're smart-- I think they'd make for good debates.

God bless,
Danny

5:09 AM  
Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

By the way, I think the Anabaptists were actually closer "ancestors" to groups such as the Amish. From this tradition eventually arose some of the only monastic Protestant groups in all of Christendom, such as the Ephrata Cloister, which is somewhere in New England, I believe. Protestant monks with robes and all-- wow.
I believe (unless my mind is jumbled) that the Baptists sprung forth in the early 1640's as a break from the Church of England. They quickly subdivided into Calvinist Baptists and Armenian Baptists. The group of Armenian Baptist sadly degenerated into Unitarians (this might have been by the time the denomination had migrated to the 'States). A new group of Armenians then broke from the Calvinists and I believe it was around this time that they voted as to whether or not they'd be Trinitarian (It is known that the mystery of the Trinity was somewhat doubted among the early Baptists-- and John Bunyan was one who personally expressed his leariness of the doctrine). Then again, I might check that out. My understanding of that whole history exists only as a brief outline, and my memories tend to blur, sometimes.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Thanks for the info. Yeah, i love debating and discussing these things but sometimes i fear people get mad too easy, but maybe not. I know I wouldn't, I would just think it was fun. I actually used to go to church with most of those people at sojourn. More than anything I just want Truth to prevail. And there is only one truth in any issue talked about.

Where did you say you went to mass?

Also, I checked some history of the anabaptists on wikipedia before I wrote about them just to make sure. They were really similar in their theology as baptists are today. But really different as well. But it seems like the closest group to them historically.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Thanks, wasn't too sure abotu my Baptist history. I know I'm a bit rusty.
I go to Mass at Incarnation in Louisville, KY.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home