Friday, October 21, 2005

Luther vs. the Canon

Luther biographer Hartmann Grisar, S.J. (author of a massive six-volume biography), writes:

    His criticism of the Bible proceeds along entirely subjective and arbitrary lines. The value of the sacred writings is measured by the rule of his own doctrine. He treats the venerable canon of Scripture with a liberty which annihilates all certitude. For, while this list has the highest guarantee of sacred tradition and the backing of the Church, Luther makes religious sentiment the criterion by which to decide which books belong to the Bible, which are doubtful, and which are to be excluded. At the same time he practically abandons the concept of inspiration, for he says nothing of a special illuminative activity of God in connection with the writers' composition of the Sacred Book, notwithstanding that he holds the Bible to be the Word of God because its authors were sent by God . . . . .

    Thus his attitude towards the Bible is really burdened with 'flagrant contradictions,' to use an expression of Harnack, especially since he 'had broken through the external authority of the written word,' by his critical method. And of this, Luther is guilty, the very man who elsewhere represents the Bible as the sole principle of faith!

    If, in addition to this, his arbitrary method of interpretation is taken into consideration, the work of destruction wrought by him appears even greater. The only weapon he possessed he wrested from his own hand, as it were, both theoretically and in practice. "His procedure regarding the sacred writings is apt to make thoughtful minds realize how great is the necessity of an infallible Church as divinely appointed guardian and authentic interpreter of the Bible.

    (Martin Luther: His Life and Work, tr. Frank J. Eble, ed. Arthur Preuss, Westminster, MD: Newman Press, 1930, 263-265)

    full article by Dave Armstrong linked above

10 Comments:

Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

I'm surprised that there has been little to no responses here as of late. I keep checking back here pretty often, though.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Thanks, at least someone looks at it. I wish I could get some really good discussion going here, but I guess no one is interested yet. However, I will keep trying.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

I guess people either don't have time, aren't interested, or don't want to get into a debate. But what's the fun in not debating?

Maybe just for the fun of it, I can play devil's advocate and argue the Protestant side. :)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

My thoughts as well. Maybe we can pretend we are both protestants from different denominations and then debate each other about who has the true teaching. That might be too complicated though. I'll just keep posting things. Maybe a discussion will start.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Go check Nikki Tatom's blog. Spider in a Mason Jar is trying to pick a little fight over there, I think :)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

It's not my intention to "pick a fight." I do tend to defend my faith at times, though, whether it is from Muslims, Wiccans, or even our seperated brethren. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous love and respect for Protestants, but I honestly do disagree with many of their stances. The truth is, I love Jesus Christ and I have faith in Him, and I do certainly believe that that Faith is more than just comprised of opinions or words. Also, recieving the Eucharist, whoa-- it makes me wonder how I could have been so ignorant in my youth. There is no peace nor greater clarity in prayer for me than when I recieve Christ in this Holy Sacrament. The Real Presence-- I am shocked at how many people even in the Church that take this so lightly. To paraphrase the words of St. John Chrysostom-- The Eucharist and Christ's one sacrifice on Calvary are one in the same.


Futhermore, I tend to have a pet peeve when anyone subscribes to old characatures of the Church that people tend to take blindly as fact, such as things like: "Catholics are Mary-worshipping alcoholics (someone once said this to me)"
"Catholics worship statues"
"Catholics disobey Jesus' command to 'call no man father'"
"Catholics hate/don't believe in/ don't read/ don't preach the Bible"
"Catholics made their traditions up over the years, such as transubstantian, prayer to saints, sacraments, the papacy"
"Catholics prevented the Bible from being printed in vernacular languages"
and my favorite:
"The Catholic Church is the Great Whore of Babylon described in Revelation."
So, there is a true passion for apologetics within me. I only pray that I never become mean- spirited or condescending. I also pray that my efforts don't just merely back someone into a corner and that's it. It'd not be good for me to actually pick any real fights, anyways-- I'm a really little guy, lol. I'm sorry for the wordy posts.

Danny

5:46 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

My sentiments exactly.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

I didn't mean to imply you were trying to pick a fight. At least not in a mean-spirted way. I was hoping the smiley would convey that it wasn't a serious comment, plus I was excited that there was finally going to be a conversation of real substance instead of the constance mindless droll about how I couldn't find a matching pair of socks this morning and had to pull two dry socks from my laundry pile. Granted, that mindless kind of stuff is fun to talk about, but sometimes I crave a real conversation about something that really matters.

For example, when are the Cubs every going to win a freakin' World Series? Whoever is patron saint of the Cubs, anyway? I think they ought to be fired because they obviously aren't praying hard enough.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Lol, I figured you might have been joking, but I just went ahead to clarify anyhow. Yeah, I do agree. My blog is pure fluff. But then again I created it for pure fluff. Perhaps I should make another blog as well...
Anyhow, I agree. I am disheartened when seminary students are reluctant to put any of that good ol' learning to use. I know they have a lot to say... why won't they just say it? Granted, we have different perspectives, but should that really limit it? Isn't part of Christianity defending the Faith? I mean, I speak with a Catholic slant, but shouldn't they as responsible Protestants put forth a little effort, as (in accordance to their perceptions) I am the one in error-- and even dangerously so?
Seminarians don't strike me as being relativists. At least, IMO, they shouldn't be.

Perhaps I am too harsh. I mean, I don't go to seminary-- I just read alot. They actually DO go to seminary-- every day. A friend of mine at work goes to Southern and boy you can tell it just drains him. They may have all of their "fill" of Theology, Ecclesiology, Epistemology, Hermeneutics, etc. I dunno, maybe I am too harsh. But I thought that a group like that would have a passion for such topics.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Have you seen the SBTSBlogs.net web site? Anyone who is a seminary student or married to one can submit their blog to this site. Some of them are more theological and would probably totally dig the opportunity to wrestle with a few Catholics :)

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home